Friday, April 10, 2009

5 1/2 yard warping board

I made a 5 1/2 yard warping board last night...plenty of length for my rigid heddle loom. It is based on a picture of a Schacht warping board that was 20" x20". So, I cut the available clear pine into 20 " lengths; overlapped them and inserted wing nuts and lag bolts; inserted a removeable nail at each of the top corners to reduce side to side motion. Cut 1 " dowels to 6 " and 6 3/4?"...can't quite remember. The four dowels across the top are longer to accomodate the fact that they are on a board laid behind the other boards. I used a 1 inch spade bit in a drill press to drill the holes. Put in LOTS of wood glue, inserted the dowels and waited overnight. Ta da! No it is not hardwood, yes there are some extra holes here and there since I did one of the corners wrong. No it is not varnished. But, who cares? It works! AND it comes apart for storage. If I had wanted to be more elegant (and more able with wood working tools) I would have made a lap joint at the corners...is that what it is called? It's a joint where part of the wood is taken away so that the pieces key into one another. I would not have needed the stabilizing nail if I knew how to make that other kind of joint. Oh well...as I said before...who cares? It works!

No comments:

Post a Comment